HomeCouponsFree StuffWeekly Ads / SpecialsBirthdayCompareCommunity

Thread: Two Tires!

Thanks

Two Tires!

Hello everyone.

I drive a 1992 Mitsubishi Diamante. I blew out a tire the other day, and now I'm interested in replacing both my rear tires. I have one Michelin MXV4 and three Toyo Proxes' on the car right now. The original equipment is the Michelin MXV4.

I am interested in buying two tires somewhere over the web and then having them installed somewhere. I'm not happy with the current "tire situation" on my car right now, so I'm hoping that by doing this, I'll have a matching set in front and a matching set in the rear, so it will balance out evenly.

I used to know a guy named John who worked for a company called TireNET, he recommended the Toyo's to me and I've been happy with them. However, I can no longer locate his website, and it appears that he has went out of business.

Money is not really the biggest issue here, I am interested in putting high quality tires on the car similar to what I have now. However, I do know about Tire Rack but figure that maybe there could be something cheaper out there that someone has had good luck with.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Thanks
    it depends on your driving, if you constantly have flats, blowouts, etc you will be better off with a local dealer like discount tire or other large chain for service.

if you happen to have better luck or experience few tire problems tirerack.com and your favorite local tire mounter would be the most cost effective.

tirerack carries the best selection for the price. most of the time, it will take just as long or even quicker then your local store ordering specialty tires. you might get away with ordering from a smaller online store and wait an extra 2-3 weeks for less money.

i have ordered a set of 4 bridgestone potenza so-3s and a set of 4 yokohoma avid sts, as well as single tires from tirerack. delivered always as promised and saved enough money to get some decent tires, thats counting all taxes, mounting, shipping, misc shop fees...

Thanks
    I have a spare on there now that actually has a plug in the sidewall, so it's not 100%, that's why I had put the Michelin spare on and kept the plugged Toyo as the spare. The car has a full-size spare, so I'm okay for a while with what I have.

Yeah, I had my Toyo's from TireNET put on at Costco for 6 or 7 bucks a tire. They were supposed to come with lifetime flat repair, balancing and rotation even though I didn't buy the tires there. All you need to do was install them.

Well, Costco has now changed that policy, and you now need to buy the tires there. That means that when I need a flat repair etc. we're going to have a fight. I need to make some decisions. Either way, I'm not thrilled with Costco Tire because when I had AAA come to change my tire (could've done it myself, figured I pay for the AAA, let them do it), he said that the bolts were WAY too tight, and that it was bad for the wheel, Costco was the last place that touched them. Apparently there's about 8 different attachments that go on their torque gun, and on an expensive car, they'd take the time to put on the appropriate attachment, but on a 92 Diamante, I guess they don't care. Lazy. That upset me.

So, anyone have suggestions on who has a good lifetime flat repair, balancing, and rotation policy? I heard Walmart still does it, but my local Walmart is really far away, about 20-30 minutes or so.

Thanks for the suggestion on TireRack, I'll take a look at their prices. I'd just like to save a couple bucks off of a local place. I do want high quality tires though... I love my car.
    Last edited by Erik; 08-21-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks
    an impact wrench is never good for any wheels worth value. attachments on an impact means two things, 1) if you have key locks, or 2) the socket attachments. unless they stripped your bolts/nuts, there are no wrong attachment. impact wrenches are hard to dial in for the correct torque setting especially at a shop that needs to get many cars in and out quick.

over tightened bolts/nuts can result in warper rotors or broken studs.
    either way any time you go into a shop, 99% of the time no one uses a torque wrench to tighten it down (to factory spec), they just "impact" it for effieciency.

i try to do as much work on my car as possible, for economy and lack of trust in strangers in general lol.

wal-mart will not sell any warranty to third party tires anymore, though they do have competitive rates on their warranty items. service on the other hand is "ymmv" depending on the shop. i have waited more then 1 hour for a flat repair at walmart since it is was the only store open that day afterwork and called to the region office after they couldnt explain me getting skipped over 3 cars who had oil change + services... money talks...

if your sidewall was plugged, you should replace that as soon as possible. plugs and patches on the TREAD section of tire is OK for normal/light driving.. plugs on the SIDEWALL is a safety danger even for short distances.

Thanks
    Yeah, normally Costco would patch my tread which is fine. My dad put a hole in the side of my fourth Toyo, and to avoid buying another tire, the Michelin spare (original equipment) which is full size was put on the car. The Toyo was plugged (couldn't do a patch on the side) and now it is being used as the spare. So, I'm using the plugged Toyo right now as my spare, and I'm going to get two new tires, and use the Michelin which has a little use since I had it put on as the spare again.

Interesting, you have great knowledge O_loung, thanks a lot.