Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your knowledge please!

Thanks

Need your knowledge please!

I have in my possession a sort of graduation yearbook from the U.S. Army and along with it certificates from the U.S. Army Intelligence School for prisoner of war interrogation and also a commendation medal certificate. This is all from the Viet Nam era, 1966/67 and signed by General Westmoreland. I am trying to locate the person this all belongs to to return it to him or his family. Yes, I have his name, even his picture from the yearbook, and did the facebook/my space searches and didn't come up with anything. Don't even know if he would still be alive. Is there a military search anyone knows of that would direct me better? A family member of mine found it in an airport and asked me to try to find the owner.
    God Bless our troops.

Thanks
    I found this

There is no list of US Military Personnel who fought in the Vietnam War. This is due to Security Concerns. There are names of US Military personnel who were killed in Vietnam and the ones who won the highest awards. Click on:
    http://www.vietnamwar.com

http://govmilitaryrecords.com/?gclid...FR4eDQodkHWYpw

Thanks
    Thanks, dbee. I will check it out. I have peeked around some military sites and they all wanted $ for info so I didn't know how legit those sites were.

Thanks
    http://govmilitaryrecords.com/?gclid...FR4eDQodkHWYpw
    Yup, that is where I was looking before and they charge you for the info. Thanks for your effort d.

Thanks
    Honestly, I bet you can walk into your city/county Veteran's assistance office and tell them what you said here and I bet they would help you.

Giving out information on soldier's that are still alive may be a slight problem. You may have to give the packet to them to send. I would put it all in an envelope. Maybe you want to include a letter from yourself....

You know... I am also assuming that you've already tried anywho and all those other personal search sites...

Also... last year military databases were free for the searching on Veterans Day. Are they this year? ...but I think you can only search the records of those who have passed away.

Thanks

Thanks
    my husband was in the air force and is a member of a lot of veterans groups...you can find people you served with in WWII and the Korean war so i would assume you could find someone who served in the Vietnam war via one of these Vet Groups

my husband was tracked down on our private email address by a guy he was in basic training with. they talk by phone and email all the time now. DH is at home sound asleep now... will see if he knows any army search engines.if he does i will pm them to you when i get home tonight

Thanks
    AWESOME!!! Thanks to everyone for your help.

Thanks
    I may be missing something here...but if they lost it in the airport, did you try leaving your name at the airport so if they look for it there they can recover it? I mean, the person who owns it may not be the person who's name is on it. It could have been passed down to someone else.
    "Make sure you put on clean underwear"!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cybermom View Post
    I may be missing something here...but if they lost it in the airport, did you try leaving your name at the airport so if they look for it there they can recover it? I mean, the person who owns it may not be the person who's name is on it. It could have been passed down to someone else.
    It was found awhile ago and it wasn't me that found it. Was given to me by someone who knows I dabble on the computer and thought I could find the owner.

Thanks
    Ancestry.com is having their search Military Records for free from today until November 13th.

www.ancestry.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Appletinitwist View Post
    I have in my possession a sort of graduation yearbook from the U.S. Army and along with it certificates from the U.S. Army Intelligence School for prisoner of war interrogation and also a commendation medal certificate. This is all from the Viet Nam era, 1966/67 and signed by General Westmoreland. I am trying to locate the person this all belongs to to return it to him or his family. Yes, I have his name, even his picture from the yearbook, and did the facebook/my space searches and didn't come up with anything. Don't even know if he would still be alive. Is there a military search anyone knows of that would direct me better? A family member of mine found it in an airport and asked me to try to find the owner.
    God Bless our troops.
    Did you "Google" his name???

I would also search for a local VFW to contact for assistance or (if you're really brave) visit a recruiting center for their advice - just don't sign anything.
    Nothing a little bourbon and soda wouldn't fix.

Thanks
    your a good person for doing that, wished we have more ppl like you

proud grandma of parker smidge1's Avatar
    Thanks
    good luck hope you find him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    your a good person for doing that, wished we have more ppl like you
    I can't disagree with wanting more people like this BUT Apple is among the majority of people. You just rarely hear of them because, "NICE PERSON FINDS PERSONAL ITEMS AND GOES OUT OF THEIR WAY TO RETURN THEM TO OWNER" as a headline or byline that just doesn't sell papers, airtime, ads, whatever. It's hard to imagine what life would be like if all the "bad news" stopped being generated and we could all trust each other, - peace on earth?