Thread: Compromise vs Conviction

Thanks

Compromise vs Conviction

"Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions."
    -Gilbert K. Chesterton

All of this debt talk is causing me contemplate the invisible line between conviction and compromise. This isn't really a political post; it's more of a philosophical question.

We have at least a few people on both sides of the aisle that say they will not compromise on certain issues. The problem is, when you come into a negotiation saying that there isn't anything to negotiate, where can you really end up? Any time you have two different belief systems coming together to make a deal, you have to be willing to compromise. I don't mean that you need to compromise your values, but you may have to give up something you want in order to attain something you value more.

So here is my question, how do you identify those things that you cannot compromise on? What is an example of that? How do you identify those things that you can compromise on?

Thanks
    Prayer.

(10 characters? Really?)
    "Make sure you put on clean underwear"!

Goody 2 Shoes Goddess TY precocious's Avatar
    in a good place far, far away from....Uranus....and not playing the Magic Wiener Whistle...while interviewing local Bozos...
    Thanks
    Coming to the negotiation table saying that you will not compromise is a tactic, not necessarily the truth. There is also fearmongering tactics to try and push through your agenda. Remember, we are dealing with politicians, they will say anything to push their own agendas. Sometimes one must call their bluff.

Coming to the negotiaion table not being "confident" comes off as a "weakness". "Never let them see you sweat." "Don't lay all your cards on the table at first." "Ask for more and compromise somewhere in the middle." "The squeeky wheel gets the oil." - all negotiation tactics.

It's also "easy" to say "we won't send out SS checks on time" when you are not the recipient. Sure, hold the SS recipients hostages as your negotiation tool.
    Dr. Preco, I hold a license to practice on Uranus.

Anyone seen my pen?

Thanks
    Preco, that's an interesting point that I hadn't considered. I hadn't thought of the "I refuse to compromise" as a negotiation tactic.

I think the whole SS check comment was irresponsible. It's pretty obvious to me that he was using it as a political weapon. And my grandparents should not be political weapons.