Thread: Palm Zire 31? Any Comments?

Thanks

Palm Zire 31? Any Comments?

Looking to get a Palm Zire 31 @ Staples this BF, anyone have any good/neg comments about it? Not looking to spend more than $100, and the BF deal seems decent enough. I don't want to "settle" for the Zire 21, and I don't want to spend tons more money on a more advanced model whose extra features (above the 31) I won't use. Sound like a good idea?

Thanks
    What kind of functions are you looking for? I have a Zire 71, which I absolutely love (and it's very similar to the 31). One word of caution... the built-in mp3 player is not that great. It's the RealOne player, which has a maximum volume that is barely audible most of the time. I got myself pTunes, which is somewhat better (and comes with some volume boost options) but also has a lot of problems. But for just occasional use, the mp3 player is not bad if you have a decent-sized SD card.
    As for the PIM functions... it's standard Palm stuff. If you've owned a Palm handheld before, there won't be much new.
    I know I could never live without mine :D

Thanks
    I have a Zire 71 as well, and barely use it. :\

I had a PocketPC and sold it off because I think I prefer a Palm, but I have no use for the whole thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spoofskate
    What kind of functions are you looking for? I have a Zire 71, which I absolutely love (and it's very similar to the 31).
    Well, at present I'm not positive of everything I would actually use. It would most likely be used to remind me of meetings/tasks for that day, as my memory has turned to sh*t after 4 years of college. I might use the mp3 player for my commute, but it will mostly be used as a 'string around the finger' so I don't forget to do this assignment, pick this up at the grocery store, etc. Being able to transfer information between MS Outlook would be cool (via USB), and the occasional game would be nice, but I don't need it to be a cellphone/remote control/camera or anything else that you see in the $500 models.

How much more is the 71? Any chance of a good Black Friday price on that model?

Thanks for the input guys.

Thanks
    The 71 is a discontinued model, so it'd probably be hard to find it at "regular" stores. Looking on pricegrabber, looks like you can get it for around $175. But it's not exactly buying from Circuit City.
    One thing I suggest to anyyone who has never had a Palm before is to not overdo it with their first one. Mostly, you end up in one of two buckets with PDAs: ppl like me who get hooked like crazy and want to upgrade soon, and the ppl like Erik who weren't that impressed.
    So, in either case, you don't want to blow too much before you know whether you'll like it or not.
    Btw, Outlook integration should be a piece of cake. You can integrate with almost any PIM system, even including Yahoo calendar/contacts/notes/etc... That is what I like to do, so that I always have access to all my info from anywhere (even if I forget my palm at home).

Thanks
    I bought my zire 71 in mid august for $179 and recieved 2 $50.00 rebates.
    About 2 weeks ago i notice my screen broke and now i'm I'm thinking about buying that extended warranty from palm for $49.00 and then sending it back after Christmas . Their extended warranty covers one broken screen malfunction, unless Erik thinks he wants to sell me his for the same comparable price.

I do love it and bought it because of the mp3 and was dissatisfied with the volume level but love to be able to take pictures. About 3 weeks ago i ordered a dell dj20 and still have to wait about a week or so if i'm lucky.

Gabriel

Thanks
    I loved taking pictures with mine, but that sliding case design allowed all kinds of dirt to get inside the Palm and all the way up to the camera lens. Now I can't get it out and the camera portion is essentially useless. But I use my cameraphone now, which is better anyway becaue it has a flash.