Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Customer Service

Moderately Moderating Big Daddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs down Dell Customer Service

I hope someone will get a kick out this besides me.

I purchased another Canon A95 5.0MP camera from Dell last week due to Dell's sale, free shipping and a coupon they offered (per my now deceased Hot Deals thread). The reason I purchased another camera was because I bought the Canon Pixma iP3000 photo printer about a week ago (which I love) and wanted to take advantage of Canon's printer and camera $70 rebate ($20 printer and $50 camera). Plus and most importantly, the price on the camera after the discounts is at least $25 to $50 less than these cameras sell on eBay. As a result, I should able to get a $50 rebate AND make a decent profit on the sale. :claps:

So back to Dell. As you all probably know, some, if not all of Dell's customer service is provided out of India. Not that there's is anything wrong with that, but here's two partial transcripts of the CSRs and my chats:

Me: Hello. I'm interested in the Canon A95 camera. Will this definitely qualify for the Canon rebate for this camera?

Dell: Thank you for contacting Dell Consumer Care Chat Support. My name is Bhagya. But you can call me Beth. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I then provided her with the link to the Canon coupon on Canon's website and she says:

Dell: I don't see any rebate on the Canon A95 camera (and she provides Dell's link to the camera). Please refer to the link above for more details

Me: I know the rebate is not on your website, its on Canon's. That is why I'm asking and why I gave you the Canon link above.

Me: Is there someone else there that can answer my question?

Dell: That rebate is being offered by Canon, not Dell. So it will be applicable only if you purchase the product from Canon

Me: I know that is totally untrue since the rebate itself has a section for "Store purchased" and other websites (e.g., Amazon.com etc.) have the rebate on their sites.

Me: Is there someone else there that can help?

Soon thereafter I amazingly confirm that Dell is an authorized Canon dealer, so I make the purchase last Friday afternoon (3/11).

The camera page on Dell said "usually ships within 24 hours". Shortly after my order I receive an e-mail saying the camera will ship on Wednesday (3/16). So I chat with Dell CSR again.

Me: Hello. I just placed an order and it states that the item normally ships within 24 hours however I just received an e-mail stating that the item won't ship until Wednesday. Which is correct??

Dell: Thank you for contacting Dell Consumer Customer Care Chat. My name is Vijay, but you may call me Vince. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Dell: There is an estimated ship date is of 03/16/05.

Me: I know, but the page that the camera is on states "usually ships within 24 hours" Why will it take so long to ship?

Dell: I apologies but due to heavy flow of orders we could not be able to ship the order on time as we give priority to the back log.

Dell: There is an estimated ship date is of 03/16/05.

Dell: However this is just an estimated ship date .

Me: The reason I ordered it from Dell is because it says that you'll ship it within 24 hours.

Me: Is there anything that can be done?

Dell: Acctually the order is shipped much before the estimated ship date .

Me: Do you guarantee that? Is there a manager you can refer me to?

Dell: Being a mail order company we can not guarantee any ship date . But most of the time we ship the order on time.

Me: I thought you were an internet order company??

I then asked where the camera will ship from. FYI the reason I was asking and why I was in a rush was because I wanted to list the camera on eBay and sell it and make a quick profit.

Dell: The camera will be shipped from the vendors side .

Me: From what state or what region in the US?

Dell: From united states.

I kept asking him where it would be shipped from but Vince just ignored me since he had as much knowledge on US states and US regions that I do on India's geography, however I'm not dealing with clients from India on a daily basis.

Me: If this is a sample of Dell's Customer Service, I would not take a Dell computer if you gave it to me for free.

Me: I'm very disappointed.

The following is Vince's EXACT response to my disappointment.

Dell: 4. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you seem to have encountered

Dell: but I assure you that the order will be shipped as quickly as possible.

Me: I guess you get people's disappointment quite a bit, if I received answer #4.

It just went downhill from there, however Friday night I received the shipping confirmation and yesterday I received the camera.

I still wouldn't buy a computer from them! :thumbs_do

You can wake up now.

It's like déj- vu again spazntwitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    ROFL

Reading this makes me think of those old text-based computer games where you type something to do, and the computer looks for some key words. It then gives you a response based off it. Looks like Vijay was doing the same thing!

My favorite was from "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" on my Commodore 64. When a dog approached, I typed, "Bite the dog." The response? "The dog bites you back."
    Last edited by spazntwitch; 03-15-2005 at 02:31 PM.
    ..../\„,„/\
    ...( =';'= )
    .../*♥♥*\
    .(.|.|..|.|.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spazntwitch
    ROFL

Reading this makes me think of those old text-based computer games where you type something to do, and the computer looks for some key words. It then gives you a response based off it.
    7. I agree with you.

Thanks
    Yeah it really stinks to talk to their customer service. Everytime i have called there i get an employee who doesn't speeks English, quite annoying.

I see that new commerical that they have with that guy explaining that you can 365 days a year and i laugh to myslef because it takes that long to get something resolved with them.

Thanks
    haha...Dell has the worst customer service. You figure with all that money they can have some CSR in the states. I was once on hold for 3+ hours. I hate Dell. Never again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big daddy
    Dell: 4. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you seem to have encountered

Dell: but I assure you that the order will be shipped as quickly as possible.

Me: I guess you get people's disappointment quite a bit, if I received answer #4.

It just went downhill from there, however Friday night I received the shipping confirmation and yesterday I received the camera.

I still wouldn't buy a computer from them! :thumbs_do

You can wake up now.
    kinda reminds me of what Choochoojr posted here

too funny! thanks for sharing this big daddy!

Thanks
    big daddy, you crack me up! I have heard many horror stories about Dell.

But, I do have one defense on their part... Don't get mad. :o

Yes, the item should ship within 24 hours, but it does say "usually" not "absolutely." And I am quite sure they did have many orders.

;) You're a pain in the you know where and I am glad I wasn't your CSR. ;)
    There is always a way to get it CHEAP!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvdeals
    big daddy, you crack me up! I have heard many horror stories about Dell.

But, I do have one defense on their part... Don't get mad. :o

Yes, the item should ship within 24 hours, but it does say "usually" not "absolutely." And I am quite sure they did have many orders.

;) You're a pain in the you know where and I am glad I wasn't your CSR. ;)
    I know usually doesn't mean guaranteed, but I expected it to ship on Tuesday the latest since I ordered it on Friday. Then I receive an e-mail minutes after my order saying it will ship Wednesday, so I was a little perturbed, even though I got an amazing deal.

I don't know if I'm a PITA, but I do enjoy busting chops. ;)

By the way, my new name is vsxxdfvue%^(*drhd HIEIDEH88y766, but you can call me big daddy. :D
    Last edited by Big Daddy; 03-15-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big daddy
    I don't know if I'm a PITA, but I do enjoy busting chops. ;)
    Yeah... I have to admit I like busting chops too. You must be born in April like me. :D

And yes, I think I will continue to call you big daddy...
    There is always a way to get it CHEAP!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvdeals
    Yeah... I have to admit I like busting chops too. You must be born in April like me. :D

And yes, I think I will continue to call you big daddy...
    Actually a couple days away from April. Next Saturday. It must be an Aries thing, although I don't believe in most horoscope mumbo jumbo. ;)

Thanks
    Lol. there is a reason why Michael Dell is worth billions... he cuts back on CSR and outsources to third world countries... = more money in pocket.

i think this is smart... with such bad CSR, customers are now reluctant to call and use email. hahahaha. less money for CSR = more money in pocket.
    you know you want it... so why not have it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carasage
    Lol. there is a reason why Michael Dell is worth billions... he cuts back on CSR and outsources to third world countries... = more money in pocket.

i think this is smart... with such bad CSR, customers are now reluctant to call and use email. hahahaha. less money for CSR = more money in pocket.
    On the other hand, even though Mikey has more than enough money, it could backfire on them because people won't want to buy from them if they have poor customer service. Even though Dell has some amazing deals, as I told Vijay (aka Vince), I don't think I could ever buy one of their computers now.

Plus due to their prices, I was SERIOUSLY considering having my father order a computer from them, but with that sort of customer service, if he'd have to call them (which is inevitable) it will be like Stevie Wonder explaining how to drive a car to Ray Charles (when he was alive of course).

At least Gateway's customer service was still excellent, last I checked. ;)

Thanks
    Go pay $399.95 for the camera at Bloomingdale's. You'll get all the customer service you want. I assume you bought at Dell because of the price. Its no secret they outsource some of their customer service. Sorry to say it, but you're the one who comes off poorest in the conversations.

Thanks
    FYI: I bought the A95 from Dell on 12/15 for $255.65 plus tax, free shipping. It shipped 12/16 from Texas and I had it in California the morning of 12/17. Their estimated ship date was 12/29 via 3-5 day. Tell me again why Dell sucks?

p.s. I know all about that Canon rebate, too. As I recall, there's a toll free number on the rebate certificate to call Canon's rebate department with questions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buybuybuy
    FYI: I bought the A95 from Dell on 12/15 for $255.65 plus tax, free shipping. It shipped 12/16 from Texas and I had it in California the morning of 12/17. Their estimated ship date was 12/29 via 3-5 day. Tell me again why Dell sucks?
    Because their CSRs give out bad/wrong information and they don't speak/type/cut and paste English well. This normally can be forgiven, however when dealing with what I would assume to be primarily, if not 100% US based clients/consumers, it is not a smart business move IMHO.

Plus just wait for Dell to start farming out the manufacturing of their computers to Cambodia, if they haven't already.