Thread: how reliable are the rebates?

Thanks

how reliable are the rebates?

nothing is 100%, so if i mailed some rebates should i just forget about it? or should i make a final copy of everything i stuff in the envelope and call the people up after a certain amount has expired

some companies hope you never send out the rebate to begin with but after you do, sometimes they hope you forget about it right?

what happens if something does happen to the rebate, then do you call them and have them investigate? if it gets "lost in the mail" (hey i remember seeing a postal truck catching fire on the news recently) then i guess thats life...its a b*itch?

just a bit worried since i sent out my rebates 4 weeks ago and it hasn't appeared in the system at circuitcityrebates.com

sidenote: those msn dollars, is there any way to get cash instead of spending it on stuff you don't need? i have $50 msn dollars...

most rebates are pretty good. I always make copies of everything, and if for some reason I don't hear anything within about 6-8 weeks I make the call. There is usually a phone number to call to check on the rebate form. Also alot of places have websites that you can check the status of your rebates on-line.

Thanks
    I know this sounds stupid but what's the real purpose of rebate?
    Why can I get instant rebate or something instead of mail in rebate???? why????:rolleyes: :(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sickman

Why can I get instant rebate or something instead of mail in rebate???? why????:rolleyes: :(
    Because if they make you jump through a hoop in order to get the money, there's a chance that you may not go through the trouble. That way, they make more money.

Thanks
    More often than not I forget to send in my rebates. I have been better about it lately, but I can't tell you the amount of money I've wasted in the past by not going through the hoop. Thats why they do it, and will continue to do it.

Thanks

Why ask Why?

Everything you ever wanted to know about rebates and then some. http://www.pcguide.com/buy/ven/eval/factRebates-c.html

Also a link to research companies' record of service:
    http://www.pcguide.com/buy/ven/res.htm

Now weren't you glad you asked?! :rolleyes:
    Carpe Victus!

Thanks
    Last i heard, some state attorney is challenging the validity of mail-in-rebates. I think it is california but i may be wrong.

Thanks
    what about those MSN dollars, any way to redeem the real cash instead of spending it on something you don't need, or don't have enough MSN $ for?

Thanks
    very good explaination especially papanickel!
    I think all rebates are just the "game!"

:rolleyes:

Thanks
    Last report I read said that over fifty percent of rebates go unclaimed (lost, forgot, etc.) or are challenged and the submitter gives up. Companies know and use this ploy. I copy everything, sales slips, store ad, upc, rebate form. Staples has even "honored" one of the rebates they offered when the company wasn't cooperating.

Thanks
    Yes, I copy everything, just about. Except:

Stupid rebates like those 50 cent rebates.

Rebates that require a mountain of paper work.

Dell sent me a $100 rebate, according to their rebate site, on Dec 6th, that I have yet to get. I wrote them a week ago & they said it was sent Dec 6th, duh.

Thanks
    Just remember to copy everything!!!
    Also, I only deal with staples, OM, CC and BB rebates.
    The best rebate center is rebateshq.com:D

Thanks
    speaking of rebates never come back - i bought a 50pk of AT&T CDR at BB its say 5 or 4$ after rebate(can't remember) - original price is around 13$. and that was like 5 or 6 months ago. and i think it'll never come back - . - I think ya should have a section for companies that doesn't return their rebate.

Thanks
    See if you make sure to copy ALL your information, then you WILL get your money. Just copy all of it... how hard can that be?

BB was trying to screw me out of a $100 rebate (I got a postcard in the mail saying I didn't qualify).... took all the copies of the rebates and receipts to my BB store with the postcard and just just kept getting louder.

They pay up.:D

Thanks
    Dell sent me a 0 rebate, according to their rebate site, on Dec 6th, that I have yet to get. I wrote them a week ago & they said it was sent Dec 6th, duh.
    funny, same problem here. I have a $300 laptop rebate outstanding with Dell. They sent me a postcard saying the rebate was invalid.

After verifying that the rebate was indeed valid I called and CS said " Oh, you sent the wrong form, send in the right one please".

After verifying that I did send in the right form, I called up again.
    This time CS said that my rebate is valid and to resubmit it.

I submitted a perfectly valid rebate form, properly filled out and on time. Still they denied it. Apparently Dell has a policy of doing anything possible to deny a rebate claim.

Oh, and another thing, their support sucks, I've spoken to more knowledgeable people at AOL. They give you the bum's rush to hustle you off the phone. I don't understand where their reputation of having good support and customer service comes from.

In my opinion it is undeserved,