Thread: What gear do I need to go wireless

Thanks

What gear do I need to go wireless

I am thoroughly confused as to what hardware I need to be able to use my laptop around the house to surf internet via my dialup/cable/DSL internet connection.

Can anyone help explain this ?

I would have thought I would need some base unit near the phone/cable jack and then a PCMCIA card that would have an antenna that I would plug into my laptop. But then I see these advts for Routers/Gateways that confuse me as to why I would need that, when I do not want to share my internet connection. All I have is one computer at home and that is my laptop.

Thanks
    Welcome to Spoofee. Maybe I can try to enlighten you a bit, as I have done many wireless installations.

The mainstream way to do it is to use a wireless router and a wireless PCMCIA card. The only doubt I have is whether you can use a wireless access point (WAP) instead of the router, since you are not trying to share the connection. Either way, the router is probably around the same price and it'll allow you for future expandability.

Excluding price, I'll link you to some good equipment at BestBuy since they have good product explanations etc. I normally like to use Linksys equipment myself, but you can pick any brand you choose based on your preference. I personally like Linksys and Netgear. Try to stay away from cheap brands such as Siemens, Gigafast and if possible SMC.

To wirelessly broadcast the internet connection, you'll need a wireless router. The Linksys wireless router can be found at http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11078938&m=488&cat=540&scat=1574

The next thing you'll need is the PCMCIA card for your laptop. The Linksys mobile PCMCIA card can be found at http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11032756&m=488&cat=540&scat=1572

Keep in mind, these prices are very high for the equipment as they are retail, so I'm sure that if you use Spoofee and other deal sites you can get a great deal. Wireless equipment is very popular and can be found at any computer store of even office products store such as Staples, OfficeDepot or OfficeMax. It's probably the most popular way to network.

There are different wireless technologies such as Wireless-B and Wireless-G. Wireless-G is typically faster but you have no need for it as your internet connection runs at about 1-3mbps and the Wireless-B runs at 11mbps. Wireless-B is the most mainstream technology, so it is the most affordable and typical solution out there, plus it can be used with most hotspots nationwide, if you would want to look into that.

I hope this clears it up for you! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply or contact me using my information below!

Thanks

Re: going wireless

Thanks Erik, for explaining clearly. So now I will be on the lookout for a wireless router and PCMCIA card. I had recently seen lot of discussion on a D-link Airplus combo kit, that brand looks good too. I remember using there modems.