Thread: Sending in the same rebates (different promotional period)

Thanks

Sending in the same rebates (different promotional period)

Do they accept rebates from the same household if the promotional period is not the same? I have sent in about 5 or 6 rebates now already all for different products and they never specified if this was allowed or not. I know most say "one per household", but does it apply only to that period? For example, I bought a Maxtor 120GB HD in about May and then in around July I saw the same deal with the same rebate. I was just wondering if it was ok if I sent in a rebate for that different promotional period.

This site and forum is great. I just joined (had some troubles registering) and love it. I had bought a couple of items that spoofee posted and got some of them already.

Thanks.
    Kevin.

Thanks
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have been hesitant to buy things (like the FAR stuff from OM) a second time. Does anybody have any experiences that can shed light on to this question?

Thanks
    Assuming the rebate says 1 per person, address, household, etc, what it means is you are allowed 1 rebate per *offer number*.

So if there is a $30 maxtor rebate in august on their 80gb drive and the offer is 03-69819, and then in october there is another $30 rebate on the 80gb and the offer number is 03-71902 then you can the rebate since it's a different offer number, different promotion, and really you're not doing it again since it's not the same thing.

This is a cardinal rule of rebates. 1 rebate = 1 rebate per offer number. If the offer numbers are different each time, you can do the rebate each time.

Thanks
    Oh, and in case you're wondering how to tell the offer number, it's usually the department it goes to. Like how an officemax rebate will go to "OM/BTS Cash Rebate Offers" and then it shows "Dept. 03-59962" or whatever. Dept Number usually equals offer number.

Thanks
    Cpaladin - I thought that that would probably be true, but have you had first hand experience with doing this?

Thanks
    Thanks, but that would be a real pain. They should say that it's valid if it's a different promotional period, it would be easier for all of us here. I don't write down all those information anyway. I think I should now though.

Thanks.
    Kevin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjrl
    Cpaladin - I thought that that would probably be true, but have you had first hand experience with doing this?
    100's upon 100's upon 100's upon 100's of experience in this regard. 1 rebate per means 1 rebate per offer number. If a new promotion starts with a new offer number, you can do one <again> under that new/different offer number.

Actually, Microsoft tends to be the exception. For awhile, they had a rebate on msmoney 2003 if you bought it with taxcut, and a rebate on msmoney2003 if you bought it by itself, a straight up $10 rebate.

Well, at one point, months after a zillion folks had done the money/taxcut rebate, amazon.com was dishing it out for free after a combo of their own amazon rebate (copy of upc) and the MS $10 rebate. Even though you'd be buying it AGAIN, and it was a DIFFERENT offer number, and a DIFFERENT rebate, with an original UPC, it was still a hit or miss if you'd get the alternate rebate. Some folks were told yes, some no, some got it, some got rejected and got told by MS's rebate center to get bent. With MS, if you've done one rebate on a given product, ever, chances are you can't do a rebate on that product again even if you buy it new again, use an original upc again, and it's a *different* darned rebate offer. MS rebates are generally reliable otherwise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by loneryder17
    Thanks, but that would be a real pain. They should say that it's valid if it's a different promotional period, it would be easier for all of us here. I don't write down all those information anyway. I think I should now though.

Thanks.
    Kevin.
    It's not uncommon, not common either, but it does happen that the offer dates are screwed up on rebate forms so that isn't the best thing to go by. Just go by the offer number.

If you aren't going to do things like keeping copies of the information you submitted, keeping a copy of the rebate form, etc, yer gonna get SO bit in the butt it's not funny. Rebates are like russian roulette, it's not a matter of if but when you'll have a problem that requires a resubmittal or arguement, and that requires having copies of what you submitted.

To do rebates on a routine basis requires some organization. Personally I just do the stupid things while I'm watching my nascar races on tv or something, kills the time from lap 50 to lap 250<G>

Thanks
    I should make a copy for myself, even the rebate says so. It's just that I'm too lazy (lol) to do so. I haven't had any problems yet, but I should make them like you said, should any problems arise.

So they have different numbers? I never actually looked at the rebate numbers and compared. I will check that out.

Kevin.

Thanks
    Well, here's the lazy way.

1) When printing out your order confirmation/receipt, print a second copy.

2) Ditto for the rebate form so you have a copy if you need to resubmit.

In this case, we're talking about changing the number 1 to number 2 in the number of copies field of the print window.

3) Scan in the UPC. If you're doing a group of rebates, hell scan them all in at one time and keep them on your pc. Most submissions don't have problems, in the unlikely event that you do you can figure out which UPC went with what submission if you need to at a later date. At least ya have a scan.

I'm assuming you seldom use an original packing slip for rebates, but rather copies. In which case, you have the packing slip, you have a second copy of the form, online order confirmation, and you have the upc. In the event you have a problem, you can get it fixed.

Otherwise, if you start doing more rebate deals, I *assure* you that it's only a matter of time until you have a problem.

Thanks
    I'm making copies of everything I'm sending from now on. I thought they wanted the originals and not the copies of the receipt. Some of them only want the ones that are sent by the company.