Thread: OfficeMax - Bogus Ad

Thanks

OfficeMax - Bogus Ad

I got Sunday's OfficeMax ad and liked the CDRs and modem (note: the ad did not specify the model model #). Both were free after rebates. I went to the store and picked up the two items, which were marked with "REBATE" tags in the store.

I was given the requisite rebate receipts and a thick booklet called the "mail-in rebate directory." After sorting through the directory, both rebates on the CDs expired Saturday (yesterday) and the modem was not the right model number.

I've not had this experience with other retailers. Is this typical for OfficeMax?

CV

Thanks
    Normally if you call up OfficeMax and explain the situation, they'll realize their mistake and either help you process the rebates correctly or refund the price, or make you return the item. I'm not sure.

Also make sure that you have the right rebate book with the right dates, and that you've made sure that the rebates you found in the book weren't for another offer.

Thanks

Update

The modem was not in the booklet (valid through 9/13), but it turned up on their rebate web site, not yet expired. The CDRs did not turn up, so I'll be returning those.

CV

Thanks

Regions

Officemax has different sales for different regions of the country. So some prices might be different in other parts of the country.

Thanks

update II

I noticed that the CDR was part of today's featured deal, so I clicked through. I found a rebate form on the officemax web page which lists the correct product and the correct dates (8-31 through 9-6).

Lesson learned. Here's my new checklist for rebates:

1. Check rebate booklet
    2. Check rebate web site (listed in booklet)
    3. Check retailer web site
    4. look at spoofee
    5. return product

CV

Thanks
    For the 50pk spin-x/imation cdrs and the best data modem, I suggest going to

http://www.easierrebates.com

And submitting your rebate online. It does speed up processing, no forms to fill out, and since everything is electronic it reduces the possibility of a processing error in terms of a person bunging in your info incorrectly.

Vets know this but you don't strike me as one yet, no offense. In the future, you really wanna check omax's web site for updated/supplemental rebate forms. Other places to check for rebate forms, either to fill out or just to do online submissions, are:

www.rebateshq.com
    www.maxmyrebates.com
    www.easierrebates.com

Thanks

OfficeMax

Cpaladin-

No offense taken. I'm not a hardened veteran in the deal world, but I have done quite a few rebates in the past few years. This is the first time I have had a problem. The Khypermedia 100-pk of CDRs (purchased 8-31) does not show up on any of the web wites you listed. The only place I found a form with the new dates was by viewing the product on the OM web page.

I usually buy in-person and submit through the online rebate processors. I have officemax, officedepot, staples, and circuit city within a couple of miles of home. This is the first time I used OM. Their rebate booklet system is difficult, time-consuming, and error-prone. In my experience, the other three retailers issue the rebate forms on the receipt. With the reciept in-hand at the store, it is trivial to verify that you have the right products and information as you walk out the door.

CV

Thanks
    Well, I said to go to website A for the spin-x rebate, not the khypermedias. The other websites were just a general, in the future, if you can submit ahead of time, try these sites, cause it can help but with OM it's not always easy finding the correct rebate form<G>

That said, I found both forms fir anyone who needs them at:

http://images.officemax.com/pdf/2003_08/Khyper.pdf

http://images.officemax.com/pdf/2003_08/PCash.pdf

Those contain supplemental forms for the $12 mfr rebate and the $8 OM rebate. FYI when it comes to officemax you can more easily find forms by editing the URL.

http://images.officemax.com/pdf/2003_08/
    http://images.officemax.com/pdf/2003_07BTS/

Doing that will just display all the pdf files alphabetically, bypassing their sometimes NOT very intuitive method of organization/listing. Also, you can often view the upcoming months rebates in advance by changing that 2003_08 to 2003_09 and so on.

If anyone is reading this, and they get sent a 100 pack of Imation CDRS as a substitution for the Khypermedias, go to www.rebateshq.com and look up offer number 03-62500 to find a $20 officemax rebate on them good until 9/13/2003. The existance of this offer or a standard mail in rebate form for it isn't located anywhere in officemax.com's rebate center, so when I got sent imations I initially thought I was gonna have a problem on my hand. Turns out I can mail in for a $20 rebate that only needs a copy of the UPC, as well as the normal OM/BTS parago handled rebate for $5 that wants the original, so I should be able toget back $25 on 100 imation cdrs that they only charged me $20 for ;)

FYI, with OM, you have to work more but with coupons and so many FAR items, you can work some great deals as well. Once you know the system, it's really no big deal. If you ever run into problems with OM rebates I suggest contacting them at omxrebates@officemax.com since dealing with them on the phone can often be an exercize in futility. Of course, if a rebate is a parago (maxmyrebates or rebateshq) rebate getting submissions validated (if rejected) is really easy by calling parago.
    Those booklets are printed over a month in advance and this kinda deal happens regularly, sometimes an updated rebate form is sent out from corporate via their intranet to the stores to be printed/passed out to customers but often the regional stores don't do this.

Thanks
    I have a question.

If I recall correctly, I think that I saw 2x $20 rebates on the 200 pack of CDR's. That's the main reason I purchased these things. :D

However, on one of the PDF's, it says "200 pack CDR JEWEL CASES" . Is this correct? Or is it some typo??