Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New trick is used to deny your rebate

Thanks

Angry New trick is used to deny your rebate

I checked my rebate status on the web for an item that I bought at AutoZone. The website is Expressgroup.com. I saw that my rebate was rejected. The reason stated was

"Reject for the following reasons:
    The purchase was made before or after this rebate offer. Original/Copy of rebate form was not complete or not included. The postmark date was after this rebate offer allows. Verification of address requested - i.e. spelling, numbers, apts/suites"

Thoroughly confused, I called the 800# to see what was going on. After about 5 Minutes, I was able to talk to a CSR. She stated that the reason for the rejection was that the Post-mark date on the rebate was not Legible (Something that I don't have a control over. It is a date stamp from the post office marking the date the mail got into there system), and hence they rejected my rebate.

The thing that made me angry was that the rebate had to be postmarked by September 6th 2006. She has the rebate in their system and so it definitely was postmarked before September 6th. If she has any intelligence, it can be concluded that it was postmarked by September 6th.

So thatís what I told her.

She insisted that there was no post mark date. I asked her what was the purpose of having a postmark date?

She said so that the rebate was mailed with in the required time frame.

I told her if she had the rebate in system by Aug 21st and it has to be mailed by September 6th, then it was mailed in the right time frame.

She kept insisting that there was no post-mark and thatís why they rejected my claim and if I wanted it to be reinstated, they have to send it to the corporate office for review which will take 15 business days. I asked her what was there to review and she could not answer it. I asked to talk to a supervisor and after another 10 minutes of wait and talk, I get the same response. "It has to be sent to corporate Office for Review".

Come on people what is there to review? Use some brain cells. And why does it take 15 business days to review?

Anyways, I told her that they can not reject my claim or anybody else's claim because of an illegible post Mark date. And I will contact someone higher up in that organization.

I am lucky as I can prove that they have received the rebate with in the proper time frame. Others might not be as lucky as hey might found out that there claim is rejected for this reason after the postmark date.

I know there is nothing we can do about an illegible postmark date but be aware that this can be used as an excuse to deny your rebate.

Thanks
    That is awful and would make me SO mad. It's sad that the higher management even has to bother with something like that. If people would just use their brains.... hope everything works out good for you!!

love 2save while spending immizliz's Avatar
    Thanks
    that is soo maddening.I do hope you fight this further and get it cleared up.Can you demand they send you your rebate back to you so that you can see the postmark and maybe take it to the postmaster and see if they can do something??Goodluck,let us know what ends up happening.

Thanks
    I hope you are able to fight this and yes it was posted way before the deadline. I hope you get your rebate soon.

Thanks
    I would also file a complaint at RippOffReport.com

Thanks
    Forget ripoff report, just mention these 3 words to the manaager: state attorney general. Tell them you are going to file a complaint with them as well as the BBB and you will get things straightened out real fast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by groove1
    Forget ripoff report, just mention these 3 words to the manaager: state attorney general. Tell them you are going to file a complaint with them as well as the BBB and you will get things straightened out real fast.
    Yep. Some of the cust.serv people are pea brains but some are really nice. I have had my share of both, especially dealing with Norton/Symantec products' rebates. I usually follow this rule: if the rebate is worth $10 or more upto say $50, I go to the post office and request a "Proof of Mailing" that costs 90 cents but you can ask the person at the counter to put the date properly. If its more than $50, use Priority Mail printing the label online so the date of mailing is darn well legible. The address verification is also done since its USPS for god's sake.
    If nothing else, you sure do keep copies of everything including the proof of mailing paper. If they are still stubborn, take their email id, go to www.FTC.GOV and lodge a complaint and cc them the copy. They'll probably personally come to deliver you your check if they are in the wrong.

Thanks
    I agree mention the BBB and that should get your rebate check mailed out by tomorrow!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ak2005
    If they are still stubborn, take their email id, go to www.FTC.GOV and lodge a complaint and cc them the copy.
    Yes, the FTC is a good resource - though most people don't realize, rebates are regulated.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...rebatealrt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by FTC
    By law, companies are required to send rebates within the time frame promised...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DealChaser
    I checked my rebate status on the web for an item that I bought at AutoZone. The website is Expressgroup.com. I saw that my rebate was rejected. The reason stated was

The purchase was made before or after this rebate offer. Original/Copy of rebate form was not complete or not included. The postmark date was after this rebate offer allows. Verification of address requested - i.e. spelling, numbers, apts/suites"

Thoroughly confused, I called the 800# to see what was going on. After about 5 Minutes, I was able to talk to a CSR. She stated that the reason for the rejection was that the Post-mark date on the rebate was not Legible (Something that I don't have a control over. It is a date stamp from the post office marking the date the mail got into there system), and hence they rejected my rebate.

The thing that made me angry was that the rebate had to be postmarked by September 6th 2006. She has the rebate in their system and so it definitely was postmarked before September 6th. If she has any intelligence, it can be concluded that it was postmarked by September 6th.

She insisted that there was no post mark date. I asked her what was the purpose of having a postmark date?

I told her if she had the rebate in system by Aug 21st and it has to be mailed by September 6th, then it was mailed in the right time frame.

She kept insisting that there was no post-mark and thatís why they rejected my claim and if I wanted it to be reinstated, they have to send it to the corporate office for review which will take 15 business days. I asked her what was there to review and she could not answer it. I asked to talk to a supervisor and after another 10 minutes of wait and talk, I get the same response. "It has to be sent to corporate Office for Review".

Come on people what is there to review? Use some brain cells. And why does it take 15 business days to review?

Anyways, I told her that they can not reject my claim or anybody else's claim because of an illegible post Mark date. And I will contact someone higher up in that organization.

I am lucky as I can prove that they have received the rebate with in the proper time frame. Others might not be as lucky as hey might found out that there claim is rejected for this reason after the postmark date.

I know there is nothing we can do about an illegible postmark date but be aware that this can be used as an excuse to deny your rebate.
    Diageo are coming up with all kinds of excuses NOT to pay out rebates.
    To date I've counted 8 reasons which vary from photocopied rebate forms to no DOB written on form!
    There's a huge debate about it on another board!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DealChaser

To date I've counted 8 reasons which vary from photocopied rebate forms to no DOB written on form!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scr621
    Where is this other board with rebate discussions? It never occurred to me that a missing or unreadable post mark might be cause for rejecting a rebate.
    We used to get rebates in 6 to 8 weeks, but nowadays it's 8 to 12 weeks with the majority nearer the 12 week mark.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Chutsman
    Where is this other board with rebate discussions? It never occurred to me that a missing or unreadable post mark might be cause for rejecting a rebate.
    We used to get rebates in 6 to 8 weeks, but nowadays it's 8 to 12 weeks with the majority nearer the 12 week mark.
    Email me privately for details

Thanks
    This happened to me from Menards! I emailed and said that it couldn't be ILLEGIBLE because I Used a sticker (address sticker w/return lable). I kept a copy and had to scan/email it to them. They almost didn't give me my $80!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scr621

I don't know how they can reject photocopied statements. Sometimes you'll have 3 or more rebate buys on the same receipt to all three rebates.