Thread: Pest control ?

Thanks

Pest control ?

What can I use on my yard to kill fleas that is safe to use around animals? We have ducks & chickens in our yard, not to mention a cat & dogs.

Thanks

oh no you don't

Quote Originally Posted by connie8890
    What can I use on my yard to kill fleas that is safe to use around animals? We have ducks & chickens in our yard, not to mention a cat & dogs.
    I'm not touching this one, not taking the bait, not going to do it. (Well at least not be first)

This is the kind of thread that will bring out the better nature of Spoofee Nation.

Thanks
    ok. I'll take the bait, but with useful information. I have found that if I use frontline on my dogs religiously, I don't see fleas anywhere.

Thanks
    Since we had a relatively mild winter, the fleas have been rampant this year. Can't use anything on my puppy yet, he is only 7 wks old. I know Seven dust is very good, but can I use it around my outside animals? If I can't control the fleas outside, then I will never keep them out of my house.

Thanks
    I think that 7 dust is safe for outside use with other animals. Call your local feed store and ask them. They should know for sure.

Thanks
    I've had this problem, and ticks as well. Here goes:
    Fleas can't travel more than about 10 feet without being on an animal. This means isolating areas from each other (ie indoor and outdoor).
    Sprinkle some granulated garlic in the puppy's food, he'll love it and the fleas hate it.
    Sevin dust is good stuff. So are many other OTC pesticides. Follow the label directions and all your critters will be OK.
    If you have plants in the house, sprinkle Sevin dust on them, and THE DIRT SURFACE IN THE POT. Fleas get on an animal, have lunch, then get off. The houseplants are a favorite resting place.
    If I had to do it again, I would pen up the ducks and chickens, spray the yard with a malathion solution. Treat the fowl while they're penned up (ask a vet what to use). When the yard is dry, let the birds out ahd treat the pen they were in. Your vet will also have some flea bombs for use in the house. The best kind (I forget the name) is a 2 part treatment. One kills the adult fleas, the other coats the eggs and kills the newbies when they hatch. If you don't use the second one, you'll have a new infestation within 2 weeks. At the same time you're doing all of this, wash the dog well with a flea shampoo and kennel him until the yard is dry.
    It sounds like a scorched earth approach, but that's what it takes to knock them out. Doing bits and pieces just moves them from place to place and prolongs the process.

Thanks

Yikes.

I called this wrong....

My first thought was getting a pair of clippers to shave every animal in the yard, follow-up by ripping up the grass (or burning the yard) or giving all the animals to the neighbors.

Just when you think you 'fastball' - you get thrown a 'sinker'.;)

Thanks
    When you get ready to shave the chickens with a pair of clippers, I wanna watch!!

Thanks
    I have also had this problem and here is what I did, call the exterminator. Sure it costs a few bucks but it's a whole lot less work!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    When you get ready to shave the chickens with a pair of clippers, I wanna watch!!
    It would definately be a sight. The rooster is still young, but he is a fighting rooster so he would put up a huge fight. My money would be on him.