Thread: Free Web Accelerator From Google for Broadband, DSL and Dialup Connections

I'm hunting for freebies! Ronshere's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Free Web Accelerator From Google for Broadband, DSL and Dialup Connections

Google offers a free web accelerator. I came across this recently on their website. Usually you have to pay from $9.95 up a month for this service!!

What is Google Web Accelerator?

Google Web Accelerator is an application that uses the power of Google's global computer network to make web pages load faster. Google Web Accelerator is easy to use; all you have to do is download and install it, and from then on many web pages will automatically load faster than before.

Please note that Google Web Accelerator is currently a Google Labs product. If you have any problems using it or have suggestions for how we can improve it, please see the Google Group devoted to it.

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

Note, Google says this program is optimized for Broadband (DSL) and dial up users may not see much of a difference but I have been trying it with several computers using 56K dial up and there is a noticeable difference.

Some important notes from their site:

Internet Connection: By default, we assume you're on home DSL broadband, with a speed between 128K and 1M.
    If your connection is faster than 1M, click Cable Modem / T1.
    If your connection is slower than 128K, click Dialup.

What are Google Web Accelerator's system requirements?

To use Google Web Accelerator, your computer must have a Windows XP or Windows 2000 SP 3+ operating system. Google Web Accelerator works for the Internet Explorer 5.5+ or Firefox 1.0+ browsers.

7. Can I run Google Web Accelerator on a browser other than Internet Explorer or Firefox?

For other browsers running on Windows, you'll need to manually configure your proxy settings to 127.0.0.1:9100 for HTTP connections.

Thanks
    I'm impatient, so maybe this will help! Thanks!

Congratulations! You've successfully installed Google Web Accelerator.

Thanks
    Thanks!
    Make sue you read the fine print. Google's going to see where you're surfing. This may cause some privacy concerns.
    I'm on cable modem and it helps a bit.

Thanks

Removed It!

After a few days I uninstalled this accelerator. It was slowing down the loading of many sites, including spoofee at times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    After a few days I uninstalled this accelerator. It was slowing down the loading of many sites, including spoofee at times.
    Same here. According to the performance, it had saved over an hour. I don't see how, many sites took forever to load. My DSL appeared to go out several times. When I called, they was no outage. I had to reset my modem and it came back on....strange. Now that I've uninstalled, everything is back to normal, much quicker!

Thanks

Smile web accelerator

Quote Originally Posted by muff_top10
    I'm impatient, so maybe this will help! Thanks!

Congratulations! You've successfully installed Google Web Accelerator.
    i downloaded it to run but i didnt get a message, its working ,i can tell, i have dial up and my computer is running like broadband soooo much faster. thank you i love it, hope it doesnt slow down after a few days, will cheak back. thanks again