Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Microsoft Domain and Web Hosting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,154 Posts

Ad Free Microsoft Domain and Web Hosting

Microsoft Office Live Basics is offering your company with its own domain name, hosting, Web site, and e-mail accounts for free.

Free service includes
    - Company domain name
    - 5 Web mail accounts (2GB storage each)
    - Easy-to-use Site Builder to create your own Web site (30 MB storage space)
    - Web site traffic reports to help you track your site's performance

- Link to Offer
    Thank you for using Spoofee.com

Thanks
    I'm confused by the "free before and after the beta" line, and them asking for a credit card during sign up so that "After the beta you can continue to use our services on a monthly billing basis" ...

So is it free, or not? Not worth the risk to me, and doesn't work with Firefox.

Thanks
    Note that it says 5 email boxes. However, the thing that's hidden in the fine print is that the freebie basics package doesn't allow you to access the email with a mail program, so you have to do it via their web site. ... which will include ads. Yuck!

Thanks
    The CC part is what turned me off the last time this was posted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HoudiniMan
    I'm confused by the "free before and after the beta" line, and them asking for a credit card during sign up so that "After the beta you can continue to use our services on a monthly billing basis" ...

So is it free, or not? Not worth the risk to me, and doesn't work with Firefox.
    I believe there are a few different options you can choose. The most basic will be free before and after the beta. The other options however are only free before beta.

They ask for a credit card to keep spammers away, and they will charge your credit card 1$ then later refund it, to verify that it really is a credit card. I signed up a month ago, and haven't had any problems as of yet.

And yes, it doesn't work with firefox :( (although the new IE is out...)

Thanks

Thumbs down It turned me off too !!!

I was going to register with them, but when it asks for the credit card, I don't think that it would be free...:convinced: Hmm !

Thanks
    Weird thing was, when I went to sign up, they had my credit card on file. How does Microsoft know?

Thanks
    To quote directly from their FAQ:

Q: Why do you need my credit card for a free subscription?

A: Even though Microsoft Office Live is a free service during the beta period, we still require a credit card in order to validate that every customer is a legitimate entity. We are concerned for two reasons:
    Microsoft wants to help mitigate fraud and strives to ensure that the Web sites we provide for our small business customers are for valid purposes. Requiring a valid credit card is intended to decrease the likelihood that malicious users will sign up. Web site scams, such as "phishing" or spamming, often use fictitious Web sites to deceive consumers into disclosing credit card numbers, bank account information, Social Security numbers, passwords, or other sensitive information. We limit the number of offers to one per credit card number as added protection against malicious users signing up for our service.

We also require a credit card to facilitate payment of services during the beta (e.g., the purchase of additional domain names) as well as at the conclusion of the beta period, when customers will be asked if they would like to continue using our services on a paid, monthly subscription basis. With your explicit permission, we can establish monthly billing using your credit card information. You will be able to continue using our services without interruption and without having to submit additional account information. Note: Basics subscriptions will not offer add-ons.

Thanks
    microsoft is controlling the world!!

Thanks
    According to the FAQ's, the credit card gets a $1 charge, a $1 credit and they do it to minimize the number of people fradulently signing up.

As for them already having your credit card are you sure you didn't have a passport set up with them? That stores credit card info, etc.

Thanks
    I submited an email and asked them to contact me by phone because I would like to verify a couple of things before signing up for it. Once I get further details, I shall post it here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greggmarshall
    According to the FAQ's, the credit card gets a $1 charge, a $1 credit and they do it to minimize the number of people fradulently signing up.

As for them already having your credit card are you sure you didn't have a passport set up with them? That stores credit card info, etc.
    So if they are charging a $1 than its really not free.

Angelo
    http://www.greekradiolive.com

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Angelo921]So if they are charging a $1 than its really not free.

Angelo
    [QUOTE]

They are not charging a $1. They simply charge your CC a $1, then credit it back, to verify you are a real person.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=RealBeerGuy][QUOTE=Angelo921]So if they are charging a $1 than its really not free.

Angelo

They are not charging a $1. They simply charge your CC a $1, then credit it back, to verify you are a real person.
    This is what happens when you swipe your card at a gas pump or order things online. They authorize the charge for $1 and then it clears out. I work with credit cards so I see these all the time.

Thanks

Free with Limits

I guess it will be offered free only in the Beta stages. Then shell out the dough if you want to continue upon full release. Bait and hook.