Thread: Compaq Presario laptop + printer $299 @ Office Depot

Thanks

Compaq Presario laptop + printer $299 @ Office Depot

I went to Office Depot to claim the 10 free CDs and saw their weekly ad where they have:

Compaq Presario Notebook with AMD Sempron Mobil Technology 3400+ and F380 all-in-one printer
    -14.1 Widescreen
    -256MB DDR2 memory
    -40GB hard drive
    -Reads and writes CD and plays DVD via combo drive
    -F380 All-in-one printer or upgrade to C3180 for $20.

Configuration code: 01271979

Save $430 after $150 instant savings & $280 in (3) Mail-In Savings. In store price $579.99.

Upgrades available: DVD burner add $25, 512 memory add $50, 80GB Hard drive add $65.
    BONUS: purchase HP 3 year extended service plan with express repair & get FREE shipping by mail-in rebate.

Fineprints: Changing configuration may change price & REBATE eligibility. Shipping and handling EXTRA. Orders for configured computer MUST BE PLACES AT A U.S. Office Depot Retail Store. Actual product available through DELIVERY ONLY.

Valid from 11/05/06 - 11/11/06.

Has this deal been posted before?

labhairt shíoch-in Faerieglamour's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have heard they charge a ton for delivery. After all the extra charges and tax it ends up not being such a good deal. The walmart one was better.

Thanks
    How much is S&H do you know? I'm not after this deal, but it might help others to know the extra charges to see if this is a good deal or a bad one.

labhairt shíoch-in Faerieglamour's Avatar
    Thanks
    I pulled this from the black Friday listing site we have listed here on Spoofee.

We Didn't Do Our Homework November 7, 2006
    Going against my gut feeling, I posted earlier about Office Depot's $299 (after-rebate) laptop computer: I thought this was Office Depot's attempt at flying straight. Nope, it's pretty much border-line con.

The math broke down like this:

$579.99 + ~7.5% tax (this varies by region, I used 7.5% because I think it's a median value) = $623.50

$623.50 - $280 in rebates = $343.50 + a free printer (including tax).

Granted, this laptop wasn't as powerful as Walmart's, it was still $50 cheaper and a comparable alternative. Unfortunately, to order this, you had to go to a retail Office Depot location and have a Customer Service Representative punch in the Configuration Number to order it for you. But that's not all. Since Office Depot would be shipping to you, they were charging a near minimum $50 shipping fee. One BFAds user reported he was quoted a shipping and handling fee of $78!

The shipping fee would bring the laptop to $400, which would be after rebates and would be a lesser system than Walmart's. I personally apologize for this over-sight and hope you accept my apologies.

In the original post I said how horrible Office Depot's rebates were, as evident by the following sites: Ripoff Report, Reseller Ratings (1.52/10) and Shopping.com's amount of users that will never shop at Office Depot again. And perhaps my favorite thing about all of this, Office Depot owns the site OfficeDepotStinks.com. They are apparently aware of the mass dislike directed towards them!

Office Depot's less than honest business tactics are not supported by BFAds.net. We will no longer be posting any of their items or Black Friday advertisements. We suggest you look at more respectable office supply stores such as OfficeMax (whose Black Friday sale has ABSOLUTELY NO REBATES) or Staples.