Thread: Circuit City: Free Shipping <> Free Shipping

Thanks

Exclamation Circuit City: Free Shipping <> Free Shipping

I hate for my first post on this wonderful web site to be a complaint, but I have to relay a horrible experience I had yesterday with Circuit City.

I'm just going to cut and paste the complaint I wrote to the BBB (yes, it's already been escalated to that!)

On Friday, 11/24/2006 the Circuit City web site had advertised a Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX60U) for $1199.99 (plus tax), which included free shipping and 18 months no interest financing (through Chase Bank). I have screenshots of this page.

The web site page clearly states in 2 places: "Free in-home delivery" and "Have it delivered - Use our Home Delivery Service for this heavy or oversized item. Basic Delivery: Free"

I went to purchase it at my local store at: 707 US Highway 41, Schererville, IN 46375 Tel: (219) 865-2399.

I opened a Circuit City credit card. The sales person at the store then told me that there would be a $55.00 charge for home delivery. I informed him that it said "Free Shipping" on the web site, and after consulting with another employee, he said it was a web only offer (although it does not say it's web only). I insisted it said "Free Shipping", but there was nothing he could do.

I went home to buy the tv online. After I added it my cart, it said: "Estimated delivery cost: Free!". I proceeded to step 1 of 3 in the check out process, the web site asked me which store I wanted to pick the TV up at - there was NO option for free delivery anymore. The web site now says "this item is available for in-store pickup only".

I then called the 800 number: 1-800-843-2489. The (rude) CS person told me that the item was out of stock at "my store", even though it clearly was in stock on the web site! She said that it could only be delivered "free" from my local store (that was 10 miles from me), not the from the not the other store (17 miles from me).

Then She said it was out of stock (which was not true) that the web site was not updated (which was not true), and gave me an 800 number for the corporate office.
    This is false advertising, a complete bait and switch! I work in advertising, and I know the laws of advertising set forth by the FTC. I wasted 3 hours of my time trying to buy this, and worse, taken a hit to my credit score by opening up a credit card I'm not going to use now.

Beware Circuit City this Christmas season.

Thanks
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...go.x=10&go.y=9

I see what you are talking about, it is showing the same thing for me when trying to purchase online. I called my local store, just for kicks and was told the same thing, the free shipping was only for online purchases. I inquired as to why the website said free shipping and then told me for instore purchases only and was told that it was a website problem and there was nothing they could do

I have never liked CC since they first opened up, I would always shop at BB. Now I hate BB and CC equally and will never shop in either of them again.
    Last edited by Choochoojr; 04-24-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Yea Circuit City might as well take me off their emails & mail outs. I was at Southlake Tx during the holidays, I bought a printer (wednesday) that was in the friday, saturday ad. Asked for the price back ($150.00), an idiot that worked their tried to say it was on the seven hour sale, but it wasn't it was the two day ad. He gave me crap & he was also treating a couple of kids that worked for Circuit City like crap. So in front of the kids I ripped him, took the receipt out of his hand & just returned the whole dang printer to them. I think the kids thought it was pretty funny the way I treated the guy. He did deserve it too!! Also found a better deal on a printer online.
    Oh, CC had a hot deal on a laptop ($399.00) in the emails today, I was curious so I tried to see if it could be bought online or a store. Nope!!! Checked about 20-30 stores. Wonder why they bother? No more Circuit City for me.

Thanks
    We just got the same set from Amazon.com for about the same price. Perhaps if you are still looking you might have better luck with them. I try not to go to the local stores anymore but if I have to I make sure I call first, they all stink especially Best Buy.

Thanks
    Circuit City is suppose to honor their web specials instore.

Thanks
    Circuit City has always honored the on-line special instore for me.