Thread: Ipod/mp3 ?GB

Goody 2 Shoes Goddess TY precocious's Avatar
    in a good place far, far away from....Uranus....and not playing the Magic Wiener Whistle...while interviewing local Bozos...
    Thanks

Question Ipod/mp3 ?GB

I'm looking to get my husband some type of MP3/IPOD device for x-mas (even tho he said he doesn't want/need one - he just doesn't realize he does yet :p ).

I'm looking for the best deal for what I can get but I have a few questions....is an IPOD and an MP3 player basically the same thing just suped up? Basically I need a quick IPOD/MP3 lesson.

I don't think he would need the video part (not all that familiar with that myself), just the tunes. What size GB holds a decent amount of tunes?

What are your recommendations? Where can I get the best deal for it?

Thanks..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precocious
    I'm looking to get my husband some type of MP3/IPOD device for x-mas (even tho he said he doesn't want/need one - he just doesn't realize he does yet :p ).

I'm looking for the best deal for what I can get but I have a few questions....is an IPOD and an MP3 player basically the same thing just suped up? Basically I need a quick IPOD/MP3 lesson.

I don't think he would need the video part (not all that familiar with that myself), just the tunes. What size GB holds a decent amount of tunes?

What are your recommendations? Where can I get the best deal for it?

Thanks..

an ipod and mp3 player are the same thing. An Ipod is just Apple's brand name. The sandisk mp3 players are a really good value for their money. They are also very easy to use and set up. We didn't have to download anything to use it and it copies straight from cd or your windows media player. It also has an fm tuner built in. Just my two cents..

Thanks
    I agree. For the money the SanDisks are good. And theyre good looking I think. As for what size storage to get him, just figure that one CD converted to MP3 will be about 50 MB, give or take depending on bitrate and other variables.. thats about fifteen to twenty albums per GB. I have a 30GB and a 1GB. The 30 is nice because I can put so much music on it that I practically never need to add or remove songs unless I have new music I want to put on it. The 1GB is nice because it holds all my favorites and new stuff but its not so big that I get lost trying to find a song I like..

in a good place far, far away from....Uranus....and not playing the Magic Wiener Whistle...while interviewing local Bozos...
    Thanks
    I just saw a dell 30gb for about $250 and a sandisk 8gb for $219.....how come the 30gb seems so much cheaper (relatively)???

Also...is a 'docking station' a recharger or just 'speakers'?

P.S. Thanks for your help so far..;)

Thanks
    Features, if its last year's model, if they wont be making it anymore and wont update firmware, there are many reasons why it could be, but theres really no telling why afaik.

A docking station is usually a charger and a connection to the computer for syncing and copying songs. Some speaker sets include a docking station (like the logitech mm50 (which is what my mom is getting this year).

Moderately Moderating Big Daddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    As far as size, I think it really depends on how much much music he currently has to put on it. If he doesn't have much and he isn't one to download music, it would really be a waste to get him a 20 or 30GB MP3 player.

If that's the case, something like THIS or a similar size iPod or SanDisk like THIS.

FYI I'm getting THIS only because I have about 12GBs of music and feel it would be great to use this for movies on a plane or in a hotel etc. rather than using my laptop. Plus it allows me to plug in my CompactFlash memory card from my camera and it can also hold Word docs etc.

If you're looking for a good deal and hubby won't mind a refurb. Go HERE. FYI these are good as new, have a 1 year warranty and I've never heard a bad thing about anyone buying one of these. I even bought one for Sophie for Xmas, even though I personally don't like them just because they're so popular. ;)

Thanks
    If you're still in the market and looking for a smaller MP3 with FM:

Linky

Rebate

Thanks
    I'm thinking this one... SanDisk Sansa e260 4GB Digital Multimedia MP3 Player - SDMX4-4096-A70

looking for the best price....does buy.com price match?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precocious
    I'm thinking this one... SanDisk Sansa e260 4GB Digital Multimedia MP3 Player - SDMX4-4096-A70

looking for the best price....does buy.com price match?
    You have to buy it from them first and then they will "try".