Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free web hosting for 3 years

Thanks

Free web hosting for 3 years

Free web hosting for 3 years at http://order.1and1.com/xml/static/HostingProfessional -- 5 GB monthly transfer (99c/GB thereafter), 500 MB space.

Thanks
    this looks too good...have u tried registering? I wouldnt want all my personal info to go to some scammer..seriously...166 data centers for a startup company sounds a lot.

Choochoojr

Thanks
    I have just registered. I recieved my confirmation email within 30 min. The only thing you might need is a domain name. It costs $5.99/year. It is still an extremely good deal.

Thanks

Thanks

Hidden costs

Beware:
    There is no way to stop traffic to your site... If you get a lot of traffic, you could end up paying lots-o-dollars.

Also they do not fully disclose what services are free and which services you have to pay for. It seems like a good deal but there are too many loopholes in their Terms and Conditions.

I did get the deal but their lack of disclosure and tricky wording has me spooked and now I'm out.

Thanks
    I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let anyone know if I run into anything. If anyone else runs into something that doesn't seem quite right, let me know.

Thanks
    Its okay they are getting slower now that they have so many signups.

btw, you did read the agrement, right? says clearly they can raise the price if they want to.

Thanks
    I did the reading. As long as they don't ask for a credit card, I'm going to roll with it. My account has been activated and I'm moving my domain over to the site. (I'm not buying the domain from them.)

Thanks
    Here's the FAQ. http://faq.1and1.com/

It's like déj- vu again spazntwitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hidden costs

Originally posted by SurferSpoofee
    Beware:
    There is no way to stop traffic to your site... If you get a lot of traffic, you could end up paying lots-o-dollars.

Also they do not fully disclose what services are free and which services you have to pay for. It seems like a good deal but there are too many loopholes in their Terms and Conditions.

I did get the deal but their lack of disclosure and tricky wording has me spooked and now I'm out.
    I just signed up in under 30 minutes for everything. When I went into the 'My Account' tab, there is a 'Cost Limit' and 'Cost Control' option. All you have to do is set a cost limit of $1 or over so that you can see if you are getting charged something. Of course, I didn't have to provide a credit card number, so I don't know how they can charge me yet.

Thanks

Re: Re: Hidden costs

Originally posted by spazntwitch
    All you have to do is set a cost limit of $1 or over so that you can see if you are getting charged something.
    I may have read it wrong but they only NOTIFY you that you are over your limit... I can see it now: "Dear sir, we would like to notify you that you are now $999,999.00 over your limit. We are sending you a bill and if you don't pay, we will sue you since you agreed to our terms."

I politely asked for clarification and I got NO RESPONSE from them. Good luck to all those who use it.

It's like déj- vu again spazntwitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Invoice

Just got my invoice:
    Item Number Service Charges
    1 2133 Basic Fee $ 0.00 for 3 years
    10/15/2003-10/15/2006
    s8791xxxx.onlinehome.us

Thanks
    Mine's up and running too. I gave false sign up info and used an email alias. i did use my cell phone number though :(

I'm going to sign up for another since they are free. So far it seems highly professional and my gut instinct is good but who knows.

I will not use them as a registrar though, but will use them to host my domaine.

They give you such a huge amount of space, and bandwidth that it will be a long time before I go over.

Thanks

Re: Hidden costs

Originally posted by SurferSpoofee
    Beware:

Actually they do disclose the answer to this question, if you use more than the free allotment of 5 GB they will freeze your web page and generate a 400 error...here is the disclosure from their site...

1. General Introduction: How the 1&1 System works ::Article #10

Why did my website and e-mail stop working?

This could happen for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. (edited out by me - unrelated)

2. You have gone over your 5GB per month traffic limit, so your website has been automatically frozen. If you wish to regain usage of it, you have the option of purchasing an additional traffic amount. You must supply a credit card and you will be billed at $.99/GB.

Thanks
    Is is true that a phone number is needed for them to call you and give you a number for confirmation?

Anyone tried to see how fast the servers are? including the pop email?

Thanks