Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeah, Nancy Pelosi

Thanks

Yeah, Nancy Pelosi

I found this article on my local news website.

About time:

Speaker Pelosi bans smoking for House members near floor

Associated Press

Created: 1/10/2007 12:20:27 PM
    Updated: 1/10/2007 12:20:58 PM

CAPITOL HILL (AP)- New House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has snuffed out one of Congress' enduring prerogatives: the right to smoke near the floor of the House.

Pelosi announced this morning that smoking will no longer be allowed in the Speaker's Lobby. That's a room off the House floor where lawmakers often mingle during votes. It's typically hazy with smoke, as it was last night during a House vote on anti-terror legislation.

Pelosi says "the days of smoke-filled rooms in the United States Capitol are over." Citing the dangers from secondhand smoke, the California Democrat says "Congress should lead by example."

Smoking is banned in most federal buildings.

While the change goes into effect immediately, it won't necessarily mean the end for smoky rooms on Capitol Hill. Lawmakers will still be allowed to smoke in their offices.

Thanks
    I'd say we should definitely do something groundbreking with respect to smoking.

1) Either increase the price on pack of ciggs to $100 or so (so few people would afford it) - so what if tobacco companies make more profit (they actually will not because the sales would drop dramatically)

and/or

2) Ask everytime everyone who buys sigs to sign a "health waiver" form that details that person is willingly acknowledges that when he/she is hospitalized for a smoking-related illness (which could be anything from bad bronchitis to kidney failure and heart attacks), he/she will not recieve any payment from his/her medical insurance, Medicare or Medicaid, and all costs are out of pocket, for which that person is 100% accountable for.

Now, only after #2 is in place, let's see how many people still smoke in this country.

Harsh? I don't think so. I am sick and tired of profoundly growing liberalism in this country

Goody 2 Shoes Goddess TY precocious's Avatar
    in a good place far, far away from....Uranus....and not playing the Magic Wiener Whistle...while interviewing local Bozos...
    Thanks
    Not long ago I recall hearing something that if you had children, you would not be allowed to smoke in your own home or car. In other words, be banned from smoking in the privacy of your own home, etc.

Not quite sure how I feel about that...:hmm:

Thanks
    I agree with your #2, with one change. If the smoker has insurance, let them file claims with their insurance company and receive benefits, but NO funds from ANY gov't source.
    Let Phillip-Morris pay for their medical bills, if they are so inclined.

This won't happen, simply because the Gov't. makes a fortune off tobacco.

Thanks
    I don't think smoking should be banned, I think the public paying the cost of smoking should be banned. Adults should be allowed to do whatever they like in private, as long as it does not directly affect anyone else in an adverse manner.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I don't think smoking should be banned, I think the public paying the cost of smoking should be banned. Adults should be allowed to do whatever they like in private, as long as it does not directly affect anyone else in an adverse manner.

I agree with your last sentence DanC!

Smoking is such a touchy subject. I see both sides. I smoked for a little while in my 20's, so I see the side of smoker's rights. Now that I dont smoke, I see this side of the court.

I always smoked outside, never in the house and never around anyone who was not a smoker. The thing is the effects of second hand smoke are real. My grandmother never smoked a day in her life - but her Mom did and my Grandpa did for a bit as well -in result of them, my Grandma has Emphysema

We need to be curteous to one another: smokers be aware of your surroundings when you smoke. Non-smokers if you see someone smoking, give them some space and let them finish.

Thanks
    Hate to burst anyone's "touchy feely cheerleading bubble" but are you aware that the tobacco companies are NOT the only ones getting kickbacks and profits? The medical community (and I know from where I speak) get any number of pharmacy kickbacks, experimental testing such as the CDC or NIH kickbacks to do trials regarding smoking related diseases, from electronic hucksters trying to hulk their ionizers or humidifiers! Just to name a few. There is no one more stupid than a so called educated smoker! These are the ones that plague our medical institutions, clinics, offices and say "If I had only known!" Shucks, what are you blind and deaf?!?!?

Smoking is a true addiction, and, folks do need compassion, medical intervention, and, support. But our tight fisted government is not willing to give up the pay dirt from the tobacco companies to put out final bans. Sad really. Second smoke is a true issue, and, people need to be fully aware of the same.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precocious View Post
    Not long ago I recall hearing something that if you had children, you would not be allowed to smoke in your own home or car. In other words, be banned from smoking in the privacy of your own home, etc.

Not quite sure how I feel about that...:hmm:

i dont think they should be able to govern whether or not you smoke in your home with children; people should have enough sense on their own to know better than smoke around their kids.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sampler View Post
    i dont think they should be able to govern whether or not you smoke in your home with children; people should have enough sense on their own to know better than smoke around their kids.
    And people should know better than to put their kids in a dumpster. Or in a car and push it into a lake, or rape their daughters, or.... Come on.. People (in general, as a whole) dont have any more sense than a head of cabbage.

Besides, addiction is addiction. People smoke weed and crack, snort coke, shoot up, etc, all in front of their kids every day. Granted they should have the sense not to, but addiction can over-ride any personal instincts they may have.

I know this is a BROAD generalization, but Im just making a point. I know that no matter what, there will be people who abide by, and people who break, the rules.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveSquid View Post
    And people should know better than to put their kids in a dumpster. Or in a car and push it into a lake, or rape their daughters, or.... Come on.. People (in general, as a whole) dont have any more sense than a head of cabbage.

Besides, addiction is addiction. People smoke weed and crack, snort coke, shoot up, etc, all in front of their kids every day. Granted they should have the sense not to, but addiction can over-ride any personal instincts they may have.

I know this is a BROAD generalization, but Im just making a point. I know that no matter what, there will be people who abide by, and people who break, the rules.
    Amen!.................

in a good place far, far away from....Uranus....and not playing the Magic Wiener Whistle...while interviewing local Bozos...
    Thanks
    But how far should the government go? I understand their intent because they supposedly are concerned for the children's health......however, does the government have the right to come into your home to enforce this? How do you enforce this without violating one's privacy? Is it really eminent child endangerment?? I just don't know how I feel about it.....:hmmmm2:

Thanks
    Who Is At Risk For Secondhand Smoke?

Although ETS is dangerous to everyone, fetuses, infants and children are at most risk. This is because ETS can damage developing organs, such as the lungs and brain.

ETS = Environmental Tobacco Smoke

Link to web-site: http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/tob...hand_smoke.cfm

Thanks
    I believe mouse & insect droppings are also developmentally damaging to children......should we now 'police' that too? How far do we want to go with this (Big brother/government)?

Cat urine is damaging to unborn fetuses, do we now 'ban' cats from homes with pregnant women? Or make it a 'crime' if they change the kitty litter box?

Thanks
    I don't believe in banning what people do in their homes, but I do believe in educating people.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdldl View Post
    I don't believe in banning what people do in their homes, but I do believe in educating people.
    Agreed. And my point, how far should the government be allowed to pursue this?

Part of the terms of my Dad living in the same house is that he does not smoke in the house. I have caught him and expressed my disappointment. It's hard for me to 'enforce' when he also drives with my kids in the car.....