Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy duty stand mixer reccomendations?

labhairt shíoch-in Faerieglamour's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Heavy duty stand mixer reccomendations?

I will soon be in the market for a new stand mixer. My current Oster is about to take it's last mix. I have been making bread dough (not very stiff) and it has been getting extremely hot and oil has been leaking out of the motor onto the dough hook ends that stick up in the body. (not on the food) :verysad: Anybody have any thoughts on what the best heavy duty stand mixer for my use would be? It needs to be able to stand up to making dough without getting all stupid on me. Thanks!

Thanks
    We have a KitchenAid. I've never seen it get in a bind mixing anything.

Goody 2 Shoes Goddess TY precocious's Avatar
    in a good place far, far away from....Uranus....and not playing the Magic Wiener Whistle...while interviewing local Bozos...
    Thanks
    I'd go with the Kitchenaid. That's the brand most used in professional bakeries. I have an Oster myself (don't use it all that much) I'm just waiting (praying) for it to die so I can justify getting a Kitchenaid...;)

Also with Kitchenaid, they are equipped to handle lots of accessories which looks like fun - pasta makers, meat grinders, etc.

Thanks
    We have the KitchenAid too and we use it alot. It's the best.

Thanks
    My mom had a kitchenade for about 40 years LOL.
    I have one now also. Your posts reminded me that I needed to call them because mine is leaking oil. I was very impressed with their customer service on the phone. I don't use mine that often and they said the oil leaking was because it was not used and that it was not a problem. He said that a unit can lose up to 1/4 cup before needing to be serviced and said the best thing to do is turn it on at least once a month if you are not using it to run the oil through the motor and then it won't leak.
    They are great units, very heavy and sturdy.

Thanks
    I have had this Sunbeam Mixmaster for over thirty years, and, I swear it is like a tank! To date, it has never backed down from any dough or mix I have stuffed into the bowl. Now, sometimes, it "walks a bit" on the counter but that is when I try to do double batches, and, I shouldn't. Sure have gotten my money from it over the years.

Ms. Smartie Pants callmeCrazyButt's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd have to say KitchenAid as well!! My mom uses hers for breads quite frequently and she has never once complained about there being any problems.

Thanks
    That's a lot of votes for Kitchen Aid...I guess now it comes down to what model is best and a very good deal. Thanks guys!!!

Oh, and has anyone noticed that appliances made a while ago seem to hold up better than the stuff made today?

in a good place far, far away from....Uranus....and not playing the Magic Wiener Whistle...while interviewing local Bozos...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerieglamour View Post
    That's a lot of votes for Kitchen Aid...I guess now it comes down to what model is best and a very good deal. Thanks guys!!!

Oh, and has anyone noticed that appliances made a while ago seem to hold up better than the stuff made today?
    A lot of stuff made today is 'disposable'...:(

Thanks
    I really don't like $500 disposable things. :(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerieglamour View Post
    I really don't like $500 disposable things. :(
    I meant 'things' in general....I have found that Kitchen Aid products have continued to keep their quality in manufacturing. That's why they cost $$$$, they're quality and last. ;) Besides, you can find a bells and whistle one for about half that $$.

John Galt, come save us! daredevil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sleek lines and reliable function has made this mixer an essential in any gourmet cook's kitchen. The stable, durable design guarantees it will last through all the birthday cakes, holiday cookies, and other delicious creations in the years ahead. A powerful 275-watt motor whirls through even the thickest batters, with a 10-speed control that lets you precisely adjust settings to fit your recipe. A tilt-back head means no-mess and no-fuss ingredient addition; pop the head back down and the mixer reaches every corner of the bowl. The 4.5-quart stainless steel bowl easily holds double and triple batches; mixer comes with a flat beater, dough hook and wire whip. Stainless steel and aluminum. Bowl and accessories are dishwasher safe. Imported. 14Hx8.25Wx13D".

KitchenAid Classic Plus White Stand Mixer
    $199.99 @ Target

Thanks
    )Oh, and has anyone noticed that appliances made a while ago seem to hold up better than the stuff made today?[/QUOTE]

Yeppers......folks would be shocked at what I personally prefer to cook and bake with in my kitchen! But I am "old southern stock" meaning, we can make cornbread on a garden hoe over a camp fire! A lot of my gadgets and cookware date back to my Grandmother, over one hundred years old, and, still going strong! Admittedly, there are so many wonderful new companies with awesome products, I would be hardpressed to choose. Guess you can't teach this old mare new tricks in her kitchen!

John Galt, come save us! daredevil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Speaking of old kitchenware, does anyone know where to buy a bacon press without having to order one online? I kinda like to have a first hand look at it before i buy one....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    Speaking of old kitchenware, does anyone know where to buy a bacon press without having to order one online? I kinda like to have a first hand look at it before i buy one....
    Do you have a Williams-Sonoma near you? Possibly Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linens'n things......