Thread: Best credit card for College Student?

Thanks

Best credit card for College Student?

Im 21, going through a city college right now

I think its about time i get a credit card and start building up my credit

I only want to charge small monthly services so i KNow i will use it every month and doesnt that help to build good credit(like use it to buy only gas, or only netflix payments, or only cell phone bill)? (opposed to getting it and never using it?)

I don't know a lot about credit cards :/

So im looking for one that will help me out, like cash back, or free gas, I really appriciate it guys!

Thanks
    The Citi Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard has pretty good cash back rewards. But please BE CAREFUL not to overspend. Having a credit card and paying the balance on time does help build your credit but just be careful.

A safer way to build your credit is to take out a loan at your bank where you have your checking account. The money from the loan can go straight into your checking account, then you can set up automatic monthly payments to pay the loan. If you pretend like the money isn't there, you'll never have to worry about making the loan payment until the very end-- then you will pay a little more back than you took out due to interest.

If you are a student and have student loans, this will build your credit when you leave school and begin making timely payments toward the loan. If you aren't planning to borrow money until you are finished with college and have established your career (which is the best plan, by the way), you won't even need a credit score for a while. Paying off student loans during this waiting period after college will build your credit.

Remember, building credit isn't a reason to go out and get a credit card or student loan, it is just one small benefit of taking those risks.